- Wide bandwidth
- The light wave occupies the frequency range between 2 x 1012 Hz to 7 x 1012 Hz. Thus the information carrying capability of fiber optic cables is much higher.
2. Low losses
- Fiber optic cables offers bery less signal attenuation over long distances. Typically it is less than 1 dB/km. This enables longer distance between repeaters.
3. Immune to cross talk
- Fiber optic cables has very high immunity to electricaland magnetic field. Since fiber optic cables are non-conductors of electricity hence they do not produce magnetic field. Thus fiber optic cables are immune to cross talk between cables cause dby magnetic
4. Interference immune
- Fiber optic cable sar eimmune to conductive and radiative interferences caused by electrical noise sources such as lighting, electric motors, fluorescent lights.
5. Light weight
- As fiber cables are made of silica glass or plastic which is much lighter than copper or aluminium Light weight fiber cables are cheaper to transport.
6. Small size
- The diameter of fiber is much smaller compared to other cables, therefore fiber calbe is small in size, requires less storage
7. More strength
- Fiber cables are stronger and rugged hence can support more
- Fiber cables are more secure than other cables. It is almost impossible to tap into a fiber cable as they do n ot radiate signals.
No ground loops exist between optical fibers hence they are more secure.
9. Long distance transmission
- Becaujse of less attenuation transmission at a longer distance is
10. Environment immune
- Fiber calbes are more immune to environmental extremes. They can operate over a large temperature Also they are not affected by corrosive liquids and gases.
11. Sage and easy installation
- Fiber cables are safer and easier to install and maintain. They are non-conductors hence there is no shock hazards as no current or voltage is associated with Their small size and light weight feature makes installation easier.
12. Less cost
- Cost of fiber optic system is less compated to any other