This course attempts to highlight the basic issues on the relation between material/energy resources, the environment and sustainable development. Technological changes on greater efficiency of energy utilization, exploitation of renewable energy, adoption of cleaner environmental practices, and waste reduction that can lead to sustainable development will be explored. Specifically, management of energy and environment towards sustainability will be introduced.
Principles, concepts and practices of energy and sustainable development will be introduced to students. It will examine the environmental, economic, and social dimensions of SD by focusing on growth and needs of human population, changing patterns of consumption, production, and distribution of resources and the associated environmental impact over time. Consideration will be given to the driving forces that influence SD with special reference to the impact on water resources, energy sources and uses, and waste management.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the basic concepts related to energy and sustainable development
- Perform basic analysis of energy systems
- Explain problems with current energy and environment assessment practices
- Discuss the environmental, economic and social dimensions of sustainable development
- Describe possible solutions to current energy problems
- Explain the concept, policies and practices regarding renewable energy