This course will provide the knowledge and hands-on skills necessary to manage a Local Area Network and its resources. Topics covered include directory services, server management, file and print services, and user/client administration in a heterogeneous operating system environment. Students will setup and manage a fully functioning computer network of systems both on Linux and Windows Platform.
- Use multiple computer system platforms, and understand the advantages of each.
- Install and administer network services.
- Protect and secure users' information on computer systems.
- Use the command line interface for system administration.
- Demonstrate strategies for planning/designing systems.
- Install and manage disks and file systems.
- Enable above learning outcomes in Windows and Linux environments.
Course Descriptions: This course will cover the following:
- System Startup and Operation
- Disk Unititioning and Filesystem Installation
- Filesystem and Device Manipulation
- Process and Log Analysis
- Startup Scripts and Configuration Files
- User/Group Security and Permissions
- Print Spooling, File Formats and Media Access
- Scheduling Maintenance Functions
- Firewalls, Security and Privacy
- DNS Service: Concepts and Client Resolver
- DNS Service: Configuration
- File and Print Service: Concepts and Operation
- File and Print Service: Configuration and Cross-Platform Issues