Requirements for connecting computer to the internet are as follows:
- TCP/IP enabled computer
- Internet service provider (ISP):an internet service provider provides you with a connection to the internet and the software you will need to navigate.
- Telecommunication line: a telephone line is required to connect you to the internet service provider.
- Modem: a modem converts a digital signal received from a computer into an analogue signal that can be sent along ordinary telephone lines, and back to digital at the other end.
- Web browser: a web browser is software used to view and download Web pages and various types of files such as text, graphics and video. Examples are Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome.
How the internet works?
- Request data from the a server on Internet.
- Modem converts digital to analog signals.
- Data travels through telephone lines to a local ISP.
- Data passes through routers.
- Regional ISP uses leased lines to send data to a national ISP.
- National ISP routes data across the country.
- National ISP passes data to local ISP.
- Server sends data back to you.