Discipline is a systematic method of obtaining obedience from others. In other words, discipline is a condition which allows the employee to show the specific behavior in an organization.
According to Gary Dessler, “Discipline is a procedure that corrects or punishes a subordinate because a rule or procedure has been violated.”
Thus, discipline is an enforcing compliance to control the behavior of employees in an organization.
Type of disciplinary problems:
There are different types of disciplinary problems:
- Attendance related problems :
- Arriving late for work
- Leaving work without permission
- Job-behavior related problem:
- Refuse to obey orders (insubordination)
- Defective work
- No-reporting of accidents
- Drunk on job.
- Destruction of property
- Fighting on job
3. Dishonesty related problems:
- Stealing of organization property
- Falsification of information
- Hiding defective works
- Creating terror in organizational environment
4. Outside activities related problems:
- Working for other competing organization
- Humiliate organization by giving embarrassing speech outside
- Involve in other criminal activities outside the organization