Mission refers to an important job to be performed for institutional achievement. It includes purpose for which an organization exists. A company mission statement usually deals with a company’s present business scope and purpose-” who we are, what we do, and why we are here". A company mission is defined by;
- The buyer needs it seeks to satisfy,
- The customer groups and the market segment it is endeavoring to serve and
- The resources and techniques that it is deploying in trying to please its customers. A mission statement promotes a sense of shared expectations in employees and communicates a public image to important stakeholders groups in the company’s environment. It includes essential purpose of the organization, concerning particularly
- Why it is in existence,
- Nature of the business it is in, and
- The customers it seeks to serve and satisfy. The mission statement of an organization is normally short, to the point, and contains the following elements:
- Provides a concise statement of why the organization exists, and what it is to achieve;
- States the purpose and identity of the organization;
- Defines the institution's values and philosophy; and
- Describes how the organization will serve those affected by its work.
The mission statement is one-sentence statement describing the reason an organization or program exists and used to help guide decisions about priorities, actions, and responsibilities.
Examples of Mission Statement
Steve Jobs' mission statement for Apple in 1980 was: “To make a contribution to the world by making tools for the mind that advance humankind.”
Nike-“To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete in the world”
Oxfam: To create lasting solutions to poverty, hunger, and social injustice.
"Nepal Telecom as a progressive, customer spirited and consumer responsive Entity is committed to provide nation-wide reliable telecommunication service to serve as an impetus to the social, political and economic development of the Country“
"Vision of Nepal Telecom is to remain a dominant player in telecommunication sector in the Country while also extending reliable and cost effective services to all“
"Goal of Nepal Telecom is to provide cost effective telecommunication services to every nook and corner of country"
Elements of an Ideal Mission Statement
An ideal mission statement is made by accommodating following points as the broader of organization.
- Products or services firm would like to offer
- Customer it desires to serve
- Market it desire to cater
- Technology it would adopt
- Concern for survival
- Philosophy it would adhere
- Concern for public image.