- Structure is the way in which components relate to each other
- Function is the operation of individual components as part of the structure
- All computer functions are:
- Data processing: Computer must be able to process data which may take a wide variety of forms and the range of processing.
- Data storage: Computer stores data either temporarily or permanently.
- Data movement: Computer must be able to move data between itself and the outside world.
- Control: There must be a control of the above three functions.
Fig: Functional view of a computer
Fig: Data movement operation Fig: Storage Operation
Fig: Processing from / to storage Fig: Processing from storage to i/o
- Four main structural components:
- Central processing unit (CPU)
- Main memory
- I / O
- System interconnections
- CPU structural components:
- Control unit
- Arithmetic and logic unit (ALU)
- CPU interconnections