Applied information technology (AIT) is the study, design, development, implementation, and support of information systems to solve the major challenges in today’s work environment.
Graduate students can update and enhance their skills in a full range of areas, including systems development, IT project management, and business analysis.
Students complete the requirements for one or more graduate certificates as they work toward completing their degrees. These post-baccalaureate certificate programs are applied programs that focus on the most relevant and timely topics in the field, including:
- database management systems — design and develop database systems and learn to manage a large database system
- information security and assurance — implement and support computer-based information systems with a focus on securing information
- information systems management — learn information systems processes and understand the central function of technology in managing organizational processes and achieving objectives
- internet application development — create and apply the latest information systems capabilities for the Internet
- networking technologies — develop and implement the design requirements of a successful networked environment
- software engineering — study, design, develop, implement and support computer-based information systems
Information technology (IT), as defined by the Information Technology Association of America (ITAA), is “the study, design, development, implementation, support or management of computer-based information systems, particularly software applications and computer hardware.”
IT deals with the use of electronic computers and computer software to convert, store, protect, process, transmit and retrieve information, securely.
Recently it has become popular to broaden the term to explicitly include the field of electronic communication so that people tend to use the abbreviation ICT (Information and Communications Technology), it is common for this to be referred to as IT & T in the Australasia region, standing for Information Technology and Telecommunications.
Today, the term information technology has ballooned to encompass many aspects of computing and technology, and the term is more recognizable than ever before.
The information technology umbrella can be quite large, covering many fields. IT professionals perform a variety of duties that range from installing applications to designing complex computer networks and information databases.
A few of the duties that IT professionals perform may include data management, networking, engineering computer hardware, database, and software design, as well as the management and administration of entire systems.