Personality is the pattern of enduring characteristics that produce consistency and individuality in a given person.
The term ‘personality’ stems from the Latin word persona. It encompasses the behaviors that make each of us unique and that differentiate us from others.
Personality also leads us to act consistently in different situations and over extended periods of time. Personality refers to the sum total of all the pattern of thinking, feeling, acting, and behaving that are unique and distinguishes one person from another.
The way the individual acts, feels, and thinks is unique and typical from the other. Personality is the combination of physical and mental qualities, ideas, aspirations, ambitions, aptitudes, and interests that characterize a person. Personality in the structure and pattern of total behavior of the individual.
According to Watson (1930) “ Personality is the sum of activities that can be discovered by actual observations over a long enough period of time to give reliable information”
Personality is that which permits a prediction of what a person will do in a given situation (Cattell, 1970).
Nature Of Personality
- The personality is something unique and specific.
- Personality exhibits self consciousness as one of its main characteristics.
- Personality includes everything about a person.
- Personality is not static, it is dynamic and ever in process of change and modification.
- Every personality is the product of heredity and environment.
- Personality should be viewed as different from the ego or the individual self.
Determinants Of Personality
Personality is very dynamic and may be affected by various factors. The personality traits, habits, and learned behavior generally are shaped and featured by biological (Inherited) and social (environmental) factors.
a) Biological Factors:
- Heredity (gene)
- Nervous system
- The endocrine Glands
b) Environmental Factors ( Social Factors):
- Home influence
- Economic factor
- Cultural influence
- Situational Factors