In this post, we are talking about the What are Product Development Process, Design, and development of a new product is a very complex and costly process. Much new product design may die technically or commercially business wise) in any stages of the product development process.
Product Development Process
A product design passes through the following identifiable steps in sequential order.
- Need Identification
- Product planning (Feasibility study)
- Advanced design
- Product development and engineering
- Process design and development
- Production evaluation and improvement
- Product use and support
1. Need identification
2. Product planning (Feasibility study)
- Preliminary market analysis
- Creating alternative concepts of products
- Clarifying the operational requirements
- Establishing the design criterion and their priorities
- Estimating the logistic requirement for producing, distributing and maintaining the product in the market
3. Advanced design
4. Product development and engineering
- Functionality. The product design should have the intended performance.
- Reliability. The product should perform consistently
- Manufacturing. The product should be manufactured at the intended cost and volumes.
- Maintainability. The product should be economically maintained.
5. Process design and development
6. Production evaluations and improvement
7. Product use and support
- Educating the people on the application of the product
- Provide warranty, repair and after sale service
- Improve the design of the product as required